Most people like to talk about the wonders of working from the home, Sam Wang, territory manager for Network Instruments, will be focusing on the less than glorious realities of life in SOHO.
Being in a technology field, working from home is universally accepted. Laptops, high speed Internet from home, VPNs and remote desktop all add up to a full and productive environment. And why not?
You are saving the company the hassle and cost of leasing office space. You are the envy of friends and family alike who have to spend hours in traffic only to sit in cubicles most of their day. You do not have to deal with commuting, dressing appropriately or even bathing regularly for that matter.
But today, after working from home most of my career, I will provide some insight into the horrors of the virtual office.
10. You are your community’s Tech Support. “Hello Neighbor…you’re a ‘Computer Guy’ right? Do you mind looking at my wireless router and PC? I get this blue screen a lot – is that bad?”
9. Your dog keeps barking when your phone rings. Someone get Michael Vick over here.
8. Having no co-workers around for motivation, you play the theme song from Rocky over and over again.
7. Disrespectful Spouse Scenario #1:“Honey, I’m going to go get my nails done and I’m not bringing the kids. Be back soon.”
6. Your conference rooms double as walk-in closets. Or is it the other way around?
5. “Yes, Mr. CIO, I hear the kids screaming…the funny thing is, our executive offices are next to a day-care.”
4. Disrespectful Spouse Scenario #2: “Oh, you are on an important phone call honey? We’ll move the cheerleading rehearsal in the garage then.”
3. You are embarrassed at your manhood for being such a big fan of Oprah.
2. Which is worse? The rude overbearing boss who yells at you or the rude overbearing wife who yells at you? Make it a game. You get double the points if you can get them both to yell at the same time.
1. Your Corporate Office’s primary form of communication to you is Instant Messaging: “Sam, you there?” <pause> “How about now?” <pause> “Sam?” <pause> “Can you talk?” <pause> “Are you busy?” <pause> “SAM!!!” <pause> “ANYONE???”